Thursday, December 15, 2005

So It's Elections Day..

I slept till 3 pm. The phone kept ringing and parents were yelling downstairs for me to wake up. I vaguely recall my younger brother showing me his purple finger and telling me to snap out of it before the poll stations are closed. I was having a wild dream about me sucking my girl's toes and pleading with her to give me a blowjob. Unfortunately though, someone woke me up before I got to the juicy part.

It was a weird night before that. The local mosque kept warning people on the loudspeakers not to drink tap water because there were a few reported cases of poisoning. This went over and over again and then other mosques picked it up. It was 3 am for fuck's sake.. Can't they keep this stuff to themselves until daylight? Anyway, it seemed that this was going on all over Baghdad. Someone on Yahoo chat told me that police patrols first started this rumour in the Sha'ab district.

Later, the Water and Sewerage Directorate confirmed the rumour on tv or radio. Hmm, I wonder how could they put 'water' and 'sewerage' in the same department, unless they were interchangeable?

You would imagine that people would all wake up and start freaking out.. Nah, not in Baghdad habibi. Everyone just went back to sleep. Someone was bellowing from his window "Why Rusafa? Why not Karkh?" He obviously thought it was a conspiracy against the citizens of Rusafa. I went over this for some time trying to figure what's so special about Rusafa anyway.

Funny thing, there were police patrols at 5 am who denied the whole thing.. just as people were trying to get some sleep.

But enough of the poisoned water rumour.

We walked to the polling station about an hour before closing time. It was like a field trip.. one lady brought sweets and chewing gum among other stuff, just about everything except the Dolma pot.

Kids were playing football and army patrols offered their services to drive people to their polling stations. There were a few thuds and bullet shots here and there, but all in all it was very peaceful and tranquil.

Some guys took the opportunity to check out the girls. A chance like this rarely happens in Baghdad unless it's a ziyara or an election so why miss it.

We did the usual thing.. most of it already familiar by now. The purple ink was not as bad as the last times. One lady at the polling station had forgot her glasses and asked me to point out Allawi's list to her. Something that bugs me whenever I vote is that no one checks my finger to see if I'd already voted. What's worse is that you can find your name in every room at the polling station. So theoretically, one can vote in several rooms, although I never tried that personally.

In case you're wondering.. I voted for the seculars. Always do. Not that I like any of them. Most of them are either thieves or drunken buffoons. But rather a drunken buffoon than a headbanging mulla with a black turban.

I guess that's it.. nothing exciting. I took a few pics on the road. I might post them later tonight.. or maybe tomorrow. We'll see.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"In case you're wondering.. I voted for the seculars. Always do. Not that I like any of them. Most of them are either thieves or drunken buffoons. But rather a drunken buffoon than a headbanging mulla with a black turban."

I like your style my friend! I would have picked 731 too!! Congrats on the vote. From your previous posts, it seemed as if you are the type of person who doesn't care about voting.. glad you excercised your new found right though!

4:39 PM  
Blogger John P. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:02 AM  
Blogger John P. said...

Very insightful...thanks for the post! I'm glad to hear that things were relatively mellow.

4:03 AM  
Blogger Caesar of Pentra said...

Well, hello secular fella!!
Read my last posting, you will know that our blogs (or even we) have many thoughts in common ;)


Lusty Caesar

3:26 PM  
Blogger Sean from DocintheBox said...

Congrats on the vote! Stay safe and keep your head down.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Mabus said...

from reading the start of this post and the start of the last one we didn't need you to tell us you're a secularis

7:50 PM  
Anonymous IraqRulez said...

mabus, who are you to tell him what he needs to tell us or doesn't need to tell us. Its his blog, if you don't like it kindly shut the hell up.

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

Dude, please add your email address to your profile.

This is a terrific blog. I'm astonished that you can write English so well; you even use semi-colons correctly. Frightening!

The Sunni-Shia entry is marvelous; some bits sound like they could be right for an Fellini-esque Iraqi film. Many other bloggers also argue that "Iraqis now have no problem with their differences. They intermarry all the time and they publicly make jokes about it. Times have changed, there are rarely any pure communities in Iraq now." But most of the bloggers making this point seem to be from Baghdad and from relatively elite, well-educated families, and I have to wonder if they really are in touch with the whole country. In the rebellion after the 1991 War, was it not the Shia in the South and the Kurds in the North who rebelled? Did not the Sunni towns and Sunni-dominated tribes circle the wagons around Saddam and work with him to take back control and destroy utterly the uprisers? After the current U.S. invasion, it wasn't the media who created the divide; it was the Shia leadership, who made sure to demonstrate that with one word from Sistani hundreds of thousands of Shia would be on the streets, opposed to the U.S. and ready for civil war. And now, in the voting, could sectarian lines be any more stark?

In sum, I'm wondering if what you've written here reflects one educated person's narrow personal experience, or truly reflects popular views.

2:32 AM  
Blogger Alephzayin said...

Great blog! I love your sense of humor and irony.

I've linked you to my site. I'm an American, so it's great to read an Iraqi's point of view (don't you love the Internet?). Feel free to look around my blog and comment on it.

5:41 PM  
Blogger جميل said...

تويتر شعر

انستقرام ضحك

انستقرام شيلات

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home